Friday, November 24, 2006

Just Drivel

Happy day after Thanksgiving...for those of you going shopping today, well, good luck with THAT. I refuse to go shopping the day after T Giving, although, I confessed to someone a couple of days ago that back when my kids were kids, in the late 80's I once stood in line at a Target store at 5:00am in order to purchase Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toys and figurines. It was crazy then, and it's crazy now. Here in Wichita, people were camping outside a Best Buy here last night in order to be the first in line when the store opened at 4:00am to nab the latest electronic whaddya call it. It's crazy, I tell ya.

So, a nice day here. Sunny, maybe 60 degrees. I'm finally working on my little piece of earth in the front of my house that last spring, I tried rather unsuccessfully to turn into a spot for "eye-catching beauty". The cannas I planted grew about 10 inches and quit, never blooming-it was too hot and dry for them. The petunias perished in the heat. But the ornamental sweet potato vines did fairly well. I was hoping they would choke out the weeds, but no such luck. After Round-Up, black plastic, digging, and more Round-Up, sticker plants STILL grow there. I can't let them win, but I don't know what else to do to kill them off. I may try a "pre-emergent" some sort of weed-i-cide early spring.

I'm thinking next summer, since it's in the sun, perhaps, just perhaps tomatoes would do ok there, but who grows tomatoes in the FRONT of your house, and not only in the front, but out by the curb? I guess I could. Somehow I have the false notion that veggie plants belong in the BACK of the house. The front is for, well, flowers, and bushes, and nice looking things.

"Count your blessings, name them one by one..." They are old words, but timely. What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAH. You have a lot of motivation. I haven't planted anything since last year when the maintenance men at the house I was renting MOWED the flowerbed I had been so faithfully watering . . .