Friday, April 11, 2008

Working with people is a challenge

We are in the downhill slide to the end of year, which means that there is more work to do at both schools than ever. Some teachers are upset that children they have referred for evaluations have not qualified for services, and other teachers are upset that we have accepted some for evaluation we will not get to this year, and they are on our list for next fall - I've got 8 so far at one school.

Then, the situation I wrote about on April 3 concerning the winner of the power struggle is not good, in that the woman who took matters into her own hands and did not follow the procedure I recommended has gotten us into hot water with the special day school we were working with. I had a visit with that psychologist yesterday, and she and I will be the ones to try to clean up the mess.

I thought about visiting with her, and if she were the kind of person to say, "I see what you mean, I'm sorry that happened...yadda", that would be one thing. But she will never ever say or do that. In the book "Working With You is Killing Me", the author says that one key to moving past something like this is to realize and accept that these people are always going to be this way, and no amount of discussion with them will change that. It's up to me to figure out how to deal with her, knowing what she's capable of. And then, something else occurred when I worked late Wednesday night, which I will not relate here, but it was a confirmation of the fact that those who seem trustworthy, may not always be.

In my last post, I related the story of an irresponsible dog owner, who was appealing a city council decision to put down his pit bull, Mr. Bonz. Mr. Bonz had bitten a young niece so severely on her face that she had to have many stitches and plastic surgery to fix her injury. Update: thankfully, the owner dropped his appeal, and Mr. Bonz was euthanized before the meeting took place.

As we go about our business in this topsy-turvy world we live in, let's reflect on a statement made by Senator Hillary Clinton, introducing her husband Bill Clinton at a rally for gun control legislation: "Part of growing up is learning how to control one's impulses."

Now, THERE'S an example of a guy that knows how to do that. The "maturity" he exhibited in his personal life while he was president of the United States impressed us all. Happy Friday!

No comments: