Saturday, April 19, 2008

One step, then another.

I slept until 9:00 today. Normally, I do not do that. I rolled over, squinted one eye toward the clock (I am blind without glasses), and finally made out through blurry vision that it was 9:05. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, while the coffee is brewing, I will ruminate (to meditate or muse; ponder). Next week I will be attending an autism conference Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday, we are out of school for "conference release day". That leaves Monday to be at one school and Tuesday to be at the other one. From next week on, I will have 3-4 staffings a week in order to get all the work done that is scheduled. It is a grueling last 5 weeks of school, and I will be putting in a lot of hours each week. I have been working on things at home on the weekends and that will continue.

I am reminded of a lesson brought in our women's Bible study at church-it's one step at a time. I intentionally have to think that way at work. If I looked at all that needed to be done between now and May 24th, I'd freak out. Each day, however, I make a priority list and focus on what needs to be done this day, and sometimes, this minute. If I take all the little steps in the correct order, I should be able to complete the assignments, given enough time. The problem comes in when other things not expected crowd in and plans for the day erupt. I really have no built in grace or leeway, which would allow a sick day, a car malfunction, or a family crisis. Not only that, but my priority list doesn't allow others any grace time either. If I have planned testing sessions with little Johnny next Monday, the ONE day I will be at that school and little Johnny is not there, then...well, then we punt. We reorganize everything and start over.

Speaking of first steps, my youngest is planning on moving out of state in a couple of weeks. He'll be going from his hometown, his family, and his roots to another community Yahoo says is 858 miles away. This is a big step for him and us. I will miss him big time, but he probably needs to do this. He says it's an opportunity he can't pass up, and so, what can we do except wave goodbye and hope for the best for him.

Take one step at a time. It's good advice.

No comments: