Friday, August 12, 2011

Buddy



 
Buddy was a member of my friend Julie's family.  This is one of the last pictures taken of him, which she posted on facebook.  She titled it:  "You walked through my heart and right into heaven...I love you my Buddy!  PS:  I bet you're already catching birds and bunnies:) "  Julie and her family made the very difficult decision to ask a vet to come to their house and administer a shot to this beautiful dog.  He was old for a lab, and had some serious, chronic, health problems which were growing worse by the day.  He was a trained therapy dog, and Julie brought him to Kensler the first two years I worked there, however, the third year, he retired as he was just not feeling well enough to stay all day and do his job.  But he LOVED working, and when she walked in with him in the mornings, he bounded through the halls, ready to be of assistance to children who needed some unconditional love that day.  When his collar and harness were on, he was one of the most obedient dogs I've ever known.  He was well trained, and oftentimes, a look or a snap of Julie's fingers would bring him into willing compliance. 
 
I gained information about therapy dogs - how they are trained to leave food they find on the floor and in fact, do not sniff toward plates or tables, how they are tolerant of hugs and kisses and "mauling" by kids, and of how they with one word stop, heel, stay, sit, lie down, or walk.  But really, the one thing about Buddy - he was trained to not show pain.  So although he lived with chronic pain issues, he did not complain or whine.  Julie said that therapy dogs especially those who are labs, will wear their bodies out, but their hearts keep beating, they keep hanging on, they never give up.   So many times, they need some assistance to take that final journey. 
 
I looked at the other two pictures of Buddy Julie took today and posted, one of which is below.  His face is so full of expression, but there is a tiredness in his eyes.  I cried as I thought about what Julie and her kids are going through - losing a beloved pet is so heart wrenching you sometimes wonder if it is worth the risk.  I thought of that very thing before adopting Lydia.  There's no right answer the same for everybody, but I have to say, I'm so glad I knew Buddy.  I'm glad I was privileged to work with him and to see him work.  He will be greatly missed!
 
 
 

1 comment:

bluggier said...

I just now read the post. Having gone through Dynamite and Susie, I have no stomach to go through another. Just in the last six months, I imagined Susie at the top of our stairs greeting me as I came home from work one day. It was almost more than I could handle. I'm tearing up just writing this.
I was surprised that you adopted Lydia after Coco, but think she has been good for you and your family. I wish Lydia a long and happy life and am blessed to have been a small part of her redemption, and a friend of hers even now.