Saturday, January 26, 2008

Why I won't buy Charmin toilet paper

A quick blog note today. It's bright and sunny-a fine day weather-wise is in store. AND, I'm going to get to visit "the babies" today! (And the babies' parents too...I don't want them to feel left out.) My nephew and his wife-(would she be a 'niece in law'?) have an 18 month old daughter and an almost 2 week old son, whom I've not met yet, so the nephew's mom and I are traveling up to see them. Woo Hoo! It'll be fun. My house is a mess, my laundry needs doing, there's a million and three things I could do today, but playing with babies takes the priority this day.

I posted a Jeep Liberty commercial earlier on my blog, which brought about a little discussion on my uncle's blog concerning the plethora of commericals, and how annoying they are. Actually, I agree with that-most of them are awful-repetitive, intrusive, and just plain irritating. So it's a breath of fresh air when one comes along that's entertaining. Of course, what's entertaining to one is not to another, so there ya go. I will say, along this line, that recently, the most offensive commerical I've seen (which I don't think they are airing anymore, thank God) was a toilet paper commerical with the animated bears on it, so I think it was Charmin, touting the 'long lasting roll', and the music playing during this commerical was, (here comes the offensive part), Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" from the famous oratorio, The Messiah. The first time I saw that commercial, I was (here comes my favorite word) aghast. The second time I saw the commerical, I muted it. And the third time I saw it, I changed TV stations. I resolved to never buy Charmin toilet paper while that commerical was on TV. And I still may never buy it, I'm still up in arms about using that music to promote toilet paper of all things. I wondered if that music is now public domain - it has to be. I don't know who in their right mind with an appreciation for that sacred work would give permission for it to be used in that way.

Well, it's off to visit "the babies". Hope your day goes well.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Well I hope that you have a good time playing with the babies. Maybe next time I will be able to come with you.
:)

Anonymous said...

In regards to the commercial. All music becomes public domain 100 years after the passing of the composer.

Jason

Wayne said...

I agree that ad writers are weird in that they come up with some very kooky ideas at times. Enjoy your babies! I wish we could see our two great grandsons more often, but that's the way it is now.

WDK