Sunday, January 13, 2008

Trivial and not so trivial

Oh my. January 5 was last-Saturday. I'm still alive, still here, but apparently, I've been WAY too busy to post anything. Of course I haven't, and I've been thinking about it, but you know-when there's nothing to say, there's nothing to say.

It was sort of an eventful week, but all trivial stuff, except for one exciting moment when Gabriel John made his appearance on January 7-that's my mother's birthday. I'm no genealogist, that would be my sister's job, but I believe Gabriel would be my great nephew. I'm no great aunt, I'll just be happy if he recognizes me once in awhile after he gets older.

I was glad to make connection with Jay this week and to hear that his new job is going well. My dryer died last Saturday, and so this past Thursday, he and Kevin came over and helped the Husband install a new dryer vent in preparation for the new dryer, which was delivered yesterday. (I made them dinner in payment. That kind of bill I can handle.) We're down a vehicle, as my oldest son's truck is in the shop beginning the second week tomorrow and he has borrowed our pickup that our youngest son usually drives. Oldest son works more than full time out of town, youngest son works part time at WSU, so guess who has a worse need for a car. Last week, elaborate plans had to be made about getting youngest son to work-who would take him, who would pick him up, all complicated by my daughter's dental surgery which had to be attended by someone as she was having general anesthesia. We used our "safety net" - we had family we could call upon to help us during this time while we were being a safety net for our kids who needed us to help them.

Many of the families I work with at the one school I'm assigned to have no safety nets. They've either been burned or used up. With no car, no money, no family to help-how do you get to work at your minimum wage job when you have no transportation, or get home repairs completed if you have no one to help? I'm very grateful for that strength in my life.

1 comment:

bluggier said...

We've always had that net. It's a blessing. I wonder if our kids appreciate it like they should....