Saturday, December 22, 2007

Celebrating Christmas

Today is Saturday about 2:45 in the afternoon. It is near white-out conditions as the wind continues to howl and the snow continues to blow. Driving around the city is near impossible (as KFDI is reporting.) We have already cancelled church for tomorrow.

Now my thoughts turn toward my husband, getting off work at 5:00, my son-in-law, ending his shift at 3:00, and my son getting off work at 6:00 tonight. I hope everyone makes it home okay. My son called, and asked me to reserve a bed at our "hotel" in case he decides to come home instead of going to his apartment several miles down the road.

I truly have not seen blowing snow like this for several winters that I can remember. Those in western Kansas have drifting and blowing every winter, and have learned to tolerate it, but it's just not that common here in Wichita.

You know what-this would be a good day to write a letter. If you read my post a few days ago, you know that I've decided to try to write to a friend, since her computer lost the hard drive and we are not able to communicate via the information superhighway. And, yesterday, a nice letter from my elderly uncle I wrote about arrived. He apologized in the first paragraph, saying, "I have not forotten you, but I just don't take time to write. Now may be a good time even if nothing great to write about." How nice to hear from him! I may write him a real letter as well.

You know, I haven't written much about Christmas. I don't really know why. I do think about it, but I really try to not get involved in the frenzy that accompanies this holiday. If you were to come to my house, you'd wonder if we even celebrate Christmas. We have no tree, no lights, no decorations, and no packages. We DO have Christmas music on, either from the radio or from the Christmas CDs I have, but that's about it.
I did buy one present, that for my son-in-law, whose name I was assigned in our annual name drawing.

We do celebrate Christmas Eve with a traditional family candle lighting, which beautifully tells the Christmas story. Last year, we did this at the children's home my brother and sister-in-law were working at. This year, it will be just our family, gathered around our table in our small front room.

Here's a thought: Did Jesus command us to celebrate his birthday? Is there anything in Scripture that would suggest we participate in such a celebration? I'm open for comments about this...what do you think?

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Thanks for your interest and comments. Regarding your last paragraph - no, I find no such command in Jesus' teachings. In fact I think He might wonder what all the commotion is about. Sometimes so do I in fact. I still like this season and enjoyed being with our family for a few days. But we're glad to be back home now, so I can get caught up with my blog.

Pilgrim on the way