Saturday, December 01, 2007

Can't we do life without numbing ourselves?

Here it is, Saturday morning - and I woke up at 5:32 am. That's right, 5:32. I laid in bed wide awake for almost an hour, then decided to get up. What else is there to do besides write in your blog? I dunno. I hate when this happens. Why can't I wake up at 5:32 on a work day and feel like this? Monday through Friday the alarm goes off at 6:15 and I have to almost literally drag myself out of the bed. I'm sure I will pay the price later for my early rising as I've got a busy schedule today. I've got some errands to run, some cleaning to do, and a "holiday crafts" party to attend. If you know me, you know I'm not a "crafty" person, but this annual get together at our church, I sort of enjoy. I was also invited to a Silpada Jewelry party this morning also, but also if you know me, you know I'm not a jewelry person. I'll let that one go by me, even though one of the selling points in attending this party was stated by the hostess as such: "We're going to be having Mimosas!"
Speaking of parties, and because I'm a member of two schools' families, plans for multiple Christmas parties are being made. I got one invitation which said, "Wine and beer provided. You can BYOB. If you drink, be sure you bring a designated driver." Yeah, count me in. I think I'll celebrate the Savior's birthday by getting blasted along with people I work with on a daily basis. Why is consuming alcohol to excess at any function such a big part of our culture? Do we need that in order to feel like we're having a good time? Weddings, showers, home sales parties, ball games, Christmas, Memorial Day, Labor Day - oh, and let's not forget the end of the school year parties which occur in May during which school staff get together and drink - could somebody explain how this activity has become so engrained in our culture that if you decline to participate, you are viewed as odd or weird? I don't mind an occasional glass of wine (very occasionally, as I am diabetic), but good grief. People who deliberately drink until they are falling down stupid need to get a grip. And stay off the road.

1 comment:

bluggier said...

So, getting up early also brings out the grumps, huh? Seriously, you have a point with the alcohol thing. Just smile and say something like, "I'll see if I can work that in," then when you don't go, you can explain that you had a prior engagement (even if that engagement was on your couch in front of the TV.