Saturday, November 10, 2007

Parking Problems

I need therapy. Well, maybe not THERAPY. I just need an objective person to tell me why I get SO irritated when my neighbors park their vehicles in front of my house. I live between two families who either own, or have relatives who own, humongous pickups and SUVs. And for some reason, these people, instead of parking across from their house, or down the street, park in front of my house, and across from my house. Case in point: I've been away at a conference for two days. Came home from eating out last night, my husband was in his car and I drove my rental. In front of my house was the biggest pickup you've ever seen. Neither of us could park there. This morning, the large pickup was gone, and in its place-the young guy living with mom and dad next door to the south had parked his large blue Chevy Z66 - I'm telling you, it looks like a tank sitting there. Looking across the street from where they live, the curb is clear, there are no vehicles there- he COULD HAVE parked across the street from his own house. Another example, the neighbor to the north has had a frequent visitor the last few days who drives a large van owned by a heating and air conditioning company. Two out of four days last week I came home to find this van parked in front of my house.

I don't mind telling you that this makes me CRAZY. I cannot stand it. I have resorted to, when the curb in front of my house is clear, moving my car, AND, instead of leaving a spot for someone else to park either in front of or behind me, I park in the middle between my driveway and the neighbor's drive. I also have parked in front of their house from time to time, but this worries me - I may find that my car won't start some morning due to, well, you get the picture.

My husband, always the cool headed person, simply looks at my irritation with amusement. "It's a public street", he says nonchantly. "Whaddya wanna do, set up traffic cones?" OOO! Traffic cones! I could do that.

So my question is, why am I so angry about this? I can tell ya. I'm mad because this is something, that unless I want to confront neighbors about, I have no control over, and even then, it wouldn't do any good. You may say, in the big scheme of things, does it matter? Yes and no. There are very few "perks" to living in the house I live in - I could sink thousands of dollars into it tomorrow but money is always an issue, and, when you're done, it's still an old crappy house. I'd sell it tomorrow, but I am waiting on a spouse to come around and say "Let's sell this place" - so that's out of my control. But one of the perks, privileges, or rights I feel I am entitled to is simply to be able to park my car in front of where I live. Is this asking too much? No, it's not. And yes, it is.

But, in the grand picture, it doesn't matter. I have a job. My husband has a job - two of them as a matter of fact. I DO have a roof over my head. My old cars run fairly well. Perhaps I need an attitude adjustment - what is it they call that, I need "an attitude of gratitude". If I give up the right to park in front of my own house, then I won't get upset when I can't do that. That's a good way to cure what ails ya, just give up what you think you "deserve".

Well, I'm feeling better. Thanks for your help!

1 comment:

bluggier said...

I'm so happy we could help!!