Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Am I a nice person?

I think fall has arrived. My hands are cold when I drive to work in the mornings, and finally finally, I'm seeing red leaves on trees. Looking across the street at the school playground, there's a tree that still has many green leaves on it, but the other trees are finally turning yellow. The time change got me-it's so dark at 5:15. No more walking in Riverside Park after work.

Have you ever been in a situation where you've unintentionally rubbed a co-worker the wrong way? I always thought I was sort of a nice person, but somehow someway, I've found myself getting crossed up with a teacher who has taken exception to me, personally. I've decided to stay out of her way as much as possible, but we will have to work together on some issues concerning kids and I'm not sure how to do that. She's a veteran teacher, many years of experience, and very good in the classroom from what I've seen. She's got a little bit of resentment toward me, but maybe she's had unpleasant experiences with psychologists before. You know how it is, we just never find the "right" kids are eligible for special education services. I was talking to another teacher yesterday who I do have a good rapport with, and she was asking me if I thought it would be worth it for her to refer one of her kindergarteners for testing. I sorta discouraged her, as it is difficult to place kindergarten students in special ed unless they have "obvious" deficits, like mental retardation or orthopaedic impairment. She says, "Of course not! You can't place him! I shudda known!" (And winked at me so I knew she was kidding.) Only, have you ever noticed that people speak the truth when they are "kidding"? They say stuff they'd like to say seriously, but for some reason can't.

I'll be gone tomorrow and Friday. A little break, a little respite, a little sitting at a conference on learning disabilities. As Daniel would say, "Boring! Boring! Boring!" Not to a psychologist. I'd be bored if I had to make it through one of his accounting classes. Now a music class-I could do that. We've bought some new piano music recently-a book of duets for two pianos, and then some one piano-four hand arrangements. We sightread through some of them last Saturday and one of my favorites will be a two piano arrangment of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". We're gonna play that in December. See ya later.

2 comments:

bluggier said...

Yes, and it's usually a great mystery why you've "rubbed" someone wrong. They won't tell you and you don't feel like you can just come out and ask. Of course, many people like it that way...keep 'em guessing and that gives you the right to stay mad at 'em for a long time.

Wild Flower said...

Ya know, that would take the wind outta her sails to have to put words to her feelings, wouldn't it...I'm sort of an upfront type of person. I think if the time were right and the situation were right, I could ask her. My other option is to just let things ride along and let her be miserable. The problem with that is that I'm sorta miserable too.