Monday, August 13, 2007

Two blogs are not a good idea

Don't send me an email telling me my health blog link doesn't work because I deleted it. I found it difficult to post to TWO blogs (imagine that). I think someone in my family, or even more than one someone told me I was ambitious to try to keep up with two. I may try again sometime, but for now, we'll just see if we can post on this one regularly. Yeah. Post regularly. What a concept!

So I've been through 4 days of inservice. I have one more to go, tomorrow, then school starts on Wednesday. For you teachers, I know inservices are not your favorite thing to do, and they are for sure something I approach with dread. We were in the library today, discussing data points, local, district, and state assessments, curriculum changes, yadda yadda yadda. Nothing was really applicable to me and how I do my job, yet, I was required to attend. Now, I will say, I have been to a few meetings over the past several days that WERE applicable to me, and not only that, were, get a hold of yourself, semi-enjoyable. For example, tomorrow is "BIST" training, and I'm looking forward to learning how to implement this new behavior program at one of my schools. Also tomorrow night is open house, and I will be in attendance at an assembly, where our new principal is going to not only welcome parents, but make her expectations for their children very clear. It'll be interesting. She was assigned to us to help us get things under control and my oh my, I am so very impressed with this outspoken, talented, and firmly compassionate educator! I hope to have good news to report all year from this little formerly hopelessly dysfunctional little school.

In other news, as it is in most of the central region of the United States, it is hot hot hot here. We had buckets of rain and more rain from March to July, now it's hot and dry and even though it's August, in Kansas, and it's supposed to be hot, people seem to be surprised by this turn of events. "My it's hot!" That's what ya get when you live in AC most of the time. When I was a kid, I didn't know it was unbearably hot. I just knew it was summer, and there were all kinds of things to do outside. Building treehouses, jumping off an 8 foot step ladder onto a gunny sack swing suspended in the air, picking rows of green beans and digging potatoes, skating, (remember the metal skates that you needed a skate KEY to tighten, and that pinched your toes?), playing in the dirt, riding bikes, playing "hide and seek" or "kick the can", even making mud pies once in a great while were all to be had, just by stepping out the back door.

Well, enough reminiscing. This will make me nostalgic and I don't wanna go there!

Are you enjoying any garden tomatoes? I finally had several that turned color all at once and although they are kinda ugly and cracked, they really taste pretty good. The grape tomatoes are nice and sweet. Enjoy the last vestiges of your garden, and your hot hot summer-beautiful fall will be here before you know it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only do I remember those skates, I still have a pair . . . AND the key. Sadly, neither one of my children has ever been interested in roller skating, even though I tried to start them out on those fancy schmancy Fisher Price plastic skates. Too afraid of falling to have a good time, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Heheh. I had a pair of metal skates. I don't remember them having a key, but they were old and adjustable only by screws. :) And I wish I had some tomatoes ...

bluggier said...

OK. I just deleted the shortcut to your other blog. Sigh.

I had some of those skates. When Dad poured the sidewalk out the back of the house to the paperhouse, I skated up and down that walk so much I wore the cracks wider in the sidewalk. It's still that way today, of course...a visible reminder of a great childhood.