Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Music Speaks

So, I've been learning a new piece on the piano.  It's called "Solace" or "Solace Rag" by Scott Joplin.  It's not really a rag like you might think, it's slower, deliberate, and full of expression when played properly.  I heard this piece played in Century II Concert Hall by a pianist who was featured with the symphony that evening.  After a stellar performance of playing technically challenging pieces, for his encore, he sat at the piano, alone, and simply played "Solace".  I, along with the rest of the audience, was mesmerized by the beauty of this composition and said to myself that evening, "You will learn to play that!"

Forward several weeks.  My son purchased "Solace" online and as I sat at HIS piano one day and plunked it out I discovered that although it may not be extremely difficult to master the technical aspects, what will be difficult will be playing it with feeling and passion in order to evoke an emotional response in myself, and in my audience, should I play it for anyone else.

Daniel gave me the music, so while I practice these notes, I imagine the composer - Scott Joplin - and what might have inspired him to write this simple but beautiful music, which inspires wistfulness, solitude, and a melancholy feeling of yesterdays.  This music, as well as Chopin Preludes and Bach Inventions, and even more modern compositions bring me to a state of lowered blood pressure and a different perspective - it uses a different area of the brain than I've used all day, and it is heaven on earth for a little bit.  I hope you too can find that place where you can obtain peace of mind and a healing of your spirit.  The work day batters and tears, but a place of rest restores.  God will meet you there, and He promises to renew your strength  for yet another day.   

No comments: