Saturday, December 26, 2009

Heroes of the Faith


While I'm thinking about folks I appreciate, I'd like to add these pictures I took of my uncles, Mervin Troyer and Wayne King. I visited both of these gentlemen this last week at the retirement community they live in and enjoyed it immensely. Mervin is holding a "corn dropper" implement that his father made (I believe he said it was his father) many years ago. He explained how it worked, and it was interesting for me to hear about that and ponder just how how innovative people were back then. It would have taken a long time for people to plant even an acre of corn, but this tool would have helped with that chore. It hangs in Mervin's room, a reminder of an era long ago. I think Mervin can best be described as a person of a profound, but simple faith in the God he serves. He has a humble, servant attitude and a work ethic that puts me to shame-he is always busy as much as as he can physically be - at almost 91 years old.

And Wayne is my mother's youngest brother. After a lifetime of ministry as pastor of several Mennonite churches, he and his lovely wife have recently moved to a community not too far from here. It has been wonderful for me and my siblings to re-establish contact with them and visit occasionally. I appreciate the life of faith Wayne and Clara live each day, and of their willingness to share that with us, his sister's family. He is a craftsman-he makes pens and pencils out of wood as well as other things which grace his and Clara's comfortable home.

Thank you to both of you for your attitudes of thanksgiving and for your continuing faith-walk in circumstances of physical frailty. You are much appreciated!

3 comments:

Wayne said...

Thank you, Marianne. Very nice comments and not so bad of pictures of two older men. Our kids always liked to visit Mervin and Dorothy on their farm. He always had some kind of toy puzzle to share with them.

WDK

Lynne King Smith said...

I think they are both pretty great, too.

bluggier said...

I think I've heard about the corn dropper...I'm not sure. One thing I'll always appreciate about Mervin is his passionate appreciation of the creation that surrounds him.

Both men exhibit the best in servanthood and living life to the full. I am indebted to them as teachers and examples of the Christian life and living.