Monday, April 27, 2009

Gulp

Great! I haven't posted in about, oh, eons, and I just now discovered that my blog has been mentioned on the Douglas and Main website-sort of a coffee house for local blog writers. Great! I hate to think about people visiting my site, only to discover that there's been nothing posted in about forever, so maybe that will be a motivator for me. I notice that my brother, the faithful blogger, has done his 500th post. Great! By the way, I'm going to try to figure out how to link the Douglas and Main website to this blog so you can go there if you like. I'm listed under "Educators". EEK! There's lots of interesting stuff on that link and I could waste all kinds of time looking at all the blogs-I think everybody else's writings are infinitely more interesting than mine. I don't even own a digital camera to be able to post pictures on here, so what I write about is just...I dunno, so ordinary, or something.

This time of year is very busy for me, as it is for school psychologists all over the district. I have the added pressure of trying to have everything completed a week early so that I can be out of here and attending my youngest son's wedding in Wisconsin the end of May. I am working a lot of hours, and in addition, work on things at home in the evenings and on weekends when needed. In spite of that, for the most part, I love my job. I like trying to figure out mysteries and this job certainly has its share. There are times I'd like to be able to unzip a head, peer in at a brain, and discover, oh! THAT'S why this kid is so smart, but he can't read fluently...THAT'S why she sees letters and numbers reversed...THAT'S why this child doesn't 'get' multiplication...THAT'S why this student transposes sounds in words...etc. The testing I do is but a snapshot of performance on that particular day. It is at best, an estimate of ability and achievement, and that's why I try my best to view a student holistically and consider other factors such as environment, motivation, and health. Even then, I sometimes feel that I have more questions than answers.

On another topic, we got 6 inches + of rain yesterday and last night. Typical street flooding in my neighborhood made me wonder, as I came home around 9:30 whether or not I was gonna need a canoe.

It's late, and I'm done for the day. Thanks for visiting me, even though I don't do well at posting. Everybody who nags me about having a Facebook needs to realize that I'd be worse at that than I am at blogging.

2 comments:

bluggier said...

Facebook, Twitter, and all the rest probably will descend upon me, but will do so more or less unwillingly.

You have interesting blogs, dear. Just like your sister, you think you have no life, at least no life worth letting others in on.

Anonymous said...

Dude (I assume that is the correct address of respect all students use)

You are the only school psychologist in the Wichita area openly blogging. You are a unique and one of a kind and many if not all the lines from "Desiderata" apply.
Enjoy the chance to share all the things you wish other people (parents, board members, ever watchful fellow bloggers) knew about your job and the kids and teachers you work with. Within professional and ethical guidelines of course :)
I look forward to following your thoughts.
Bobby